As 25% of mobile apps are revealed to have security flaws, the importance of MDM solutions has never been higher.
Revealed in the 2016 NowSecure Mobile Security Report a quarter of all mobile apps have at least one high-risk security flaw, with business apps three times more likely to leak login credentials than the average app.
IT and security positions in companies have long been challenged by the proliferation of mobile devices that have access to sensitive business information. Through the consumerization of technology, employees are demanding to be able to use a vast array of devices to collaborate, connect and work on the business. This diversity of devices leads to companies lacking a cohesive security strategy and administrative functionality that historically was available to IT management in the traditional office-based computer days.
Unveiling the true severity of the mobile device security issue NowSecure found;
- 24.7 percent of mobile apps include at least one high-risk security flaw
- The average device connects to 160 unique IP addresses every day
- 35 percent of communications sent by mobile devices are unencrypted
- Business apps are three times more likely to leak login credentials than the average app
- Games are one-and-a-half times more likely to include a high-risk vulnerability than the average app
The challenge present here is that it is not simply a case of avoiding malicious downloads or apps, even legitimate apps downloaded from official operating system app stores can leak information unwittingly or have other high-risk security issues. Thus, the management of mobile security requires a far more nuanced approach entailing monitoring user configuration, awareness of device OS security issues, management of the apps downloaded onto those devices and even the network connections those devices make for the best security.